The “Secular Yeshiva” Course in Advanced Jewish Studies
February 2012 through January 2015*
Who is eligible?
- Members, staff and friends of The Sholem Community, SoCal Arbeter Ring
(Workmen’s Circle), as well as others, including graduates of the Jeremiah
Fellowship, willing to commit to an intensive two-year course of study. Applicants
will be asked to submit a brief description of past education and/or activities in
Jewish and general cultural/educational/social movements.
- Maximum enrollment: 15 individuals.
- Apply no later than Jan. 21, 2012 to email@example.com
What is the commitment?
- Two Sunday evening sessions per month, each 2-1/2 hours (60 class hours total)
- Significant advance reading/research
- Readiness to participate in seminar-style discussions, led by participants as
well as instructors
- Purchase of books and publications recommended by instructors, all under $20, most $5-10 used online
- Approximately $10 fee per class (~$250/year)
What will be covered?
Approximately six sessions (15 hrs.) will be devoted to each topic:
- History and Basic Ideas of Secular Jewishness
- Critical examination of Tanakh (Hebrew bible); post-biblical literature
- Jewish calendar and holidays
- World Jewish history
- Eastern European Jewish history
- American Jewish history (incl. Rediscovering Our Radical Roots)
- Yiddish literature in translation
- Jewish American literature
Certification as Secular Jewish vegvayzer/Leaders
An additional year of study (February – December 2015) covering:
- Developing Secular Jewish life-cycle and holiday ceremonies in community
and home settings
- Reviewing/Developing curricula for Secular Jewish schools
- Hershl Hartman, Certified Secular Jewish vegvayzer; faculty,
International Institute for Secular Humanistic Judaism; Ed. Dir., The Sholem
Community; District Committee, SoCal Arbeter Ring (Workmen’s Circle)
- Other Certified vegvayzer in Southern California
- Noted scholars in L.A. area Secular Jewish movements/institutions
- Invited guest lecturers from L.A. area higher learning faculties