The undersigned community organizations and individuals join the Southern California Arbeter Ring/Workmen’s Circle in condemning the recent series of attacks on its mural on South Robertson Blvd.
The mural, celebrating Jewish-American history and its broad concern for universal social justice, was defaced by a pro-Palestine slogan in the early hours of February 6, 2014. Later that night, it was altered to be anti-Palestine.
These expressions of extremism on both sides of the Israel/Palestine issue do not serve the cause of justice or peace in the Middle East. Rather, they prove once again that hatred is the enemy of decent humanity and its art.
We hope that this expression of community support will encourage all people of good will to deal with the issues in a rational, peaceful and constructive manner.
List of Endorsing Organizations, Congregations and Individuals
- Adat Ari El — Rabbi Jonathan Jaffe Bernhard
- Americans for Peace Now — Steven Kaplan, Sanford Weiner, Regional Co-Chairs;
- David Pine, Regional Director
- Anti-Defamation League, Pacific Southwest Region
- Beth Chayim Chadashim — Rabbi Lisa Edwards; Cantor Juval Porat
- Clergy & Laity United for Economic Justice-LA — Rabbi Jonathan Klein, Exec. Dir.
- Council on American-Islamic Relations, Greater L.A. Area chapter
- Guru Ram Das Ashram
- Jewish Labor Committee, Western Region
- Jewish Voice for Peace
- Los Angeles Alliance for a New Economy
- Los Angeles Workers Educational Society
- Mural Conservancy of Los Angeles (MCLA)
- Muslims for Progressive Values — Ani Zonneveld, Pres.
- National Council of Jewish Women/Los Angeles
- National Workmen’s Circle/Arbeter Ring — Ann Toback, Exec. Dir.; Madelon Braun, Pres.
- National Writers Union/UAW Local 1981 — Larry Goldbetter, President
- Rabbi Asher Yemini
- Rabbi Leonard I. Beerman, Founding Rabbi of Leo Baeck Temple
- Rabbi Haim Dov Beliak
- Rabbi Zoë Klein
- Shalhevet Firehawks
- Shtibl Minyan
- Sikh Dharma of Southern California — Kirtan-Singh Khalsa, President; HarSimran K. Khalsa, Exec. Secy.
- Sunset Hall, Inc. — Wendy J. Caputo, Exec. Dir.; Bd. of Dirs.; membership
- The Clergy of Wilshire Boulevard Temple:
- Rabbi Susan Goldberg
- Rabbi Steve Leder
- Rabbi Karen Fox
- Rabbi David Eshel
- Rabbi Beau Shapiro
- Rabbi Elissa Ben-Naim
- Rabbi Bruce Raff
- Rabbi Rochelle Tulik
- Cantor Don Gurney
- Student Cantor Seth Ettinger
- Sholem Community and Sholem School Belfer (teen aides)
- Shtibl Minyan
- Social and Public Art Resource Center (SPARC) — Debra J. T. Padilla, Exec. Dir.;
- UCLA Prof. Judy Baca, Artistic Dir.
- The Art of Living Foundation — Scott Barsotti, President
- Westside Jewish Community Center — Brian Greene, Exec. Dir.
- Yiddishkayt Los Angeles